"The Truth" About Hops
After three years of exploring the most rare, interesting, and obscure hop varieties through our Single Hop Imperial IPA series, we felt it was time last August to unleash The Truth, an Imperial IPA that's exclusively available in our backyard of Maryland and Washington, DC.
Clocking in at 120 IBUs, The Truth is a bold, yet balanced Imperial IPA. Its sharp hop bitterness begins with huge pine notes on the nose, which evolve into bright citrus and subtle stone fruit flavors. The finish is crisp, clean, and leaves you slightly more likely to divulge your deepest and darkest.
Our latest batch is in the kettle today, so what better time to break it down for you, hop by hop:
- Warrior: High alpha acids provide clean and neutral bittering
- Summit: A relatively new variety that imparts big citrus and grapefruit
- CTZ: This complex, all-purpose hop offers citrus, herbal, and spicy notes
- End of boil
- Citra: What the name implies, strong citrus with hints of pine and tropical fruit
- Amarillo: Rounds out with a delicate balance of citrus and floral
Both Citra and Amarillo are excellent late-addition hops for flavor and aroma, so each are used in a whirlpool hop addition, along with two dry hops during fermentation. All in, The Truth is brewed with a whopping 3 pounds of hops per barrel.
In the area? You lucky dog. Find The Truth near you.