May 3 2013
The Quick and Dirty on of Montreal
On Saturday, May 25 of Montreal will be taking our stage by storm. Literally. Their concerts are theatrical and unpredictable with more costume changes than an Oscars host, synchronized dancing that would put Madonna's saggy ass to shame, and lighting effects sure to invoke seizures. (Check out their last DC-area show at 9:30 Club.)
To prepare you for the show, here's the quick and dirty on the band:
- Everyone loves a good Canadian success story, but these guys aren't neighbors from the Great White North. They're actually from Athens, Georgia.
- The name of Montreal came from a failed romance between band frontman Kevin Barnes and, you guessed it, a lady from Montreal.
- Their style is eclectic and has been known to change from album to album. It can best be summed up as euphoric indie pop. They're also known for combining narrative, often serious, lyrics with upbeat melodies and sing-along choruses.
- Their show at the brewery is on the last leg of their Summer Tour. From here, they have a show in Honolulu and are then off to Tokyo.
- They announced last week that they're coming out with a new album -- Lousy with Sylvianbriar -- this fall.
Tickets for the show, with Baltimore's Us and Us Only opening up, are just $20 and on sale now.